Friday, October 24, 2008

Holding on...

My grandmother has slowly started slipping away. She was great yesterday morning, she was in physical therapy and had been doing well. My mom went and visited with her during lunch and she was looking forward to getting out over the weekend and on the road to recovery. Not even 30 minutes after she returned to work, the doctor called and informed my mom that she was experiencing congestive heart failure. She was put on a ventilator and they were trying their best. She has a living will and explained that she doesn't want to be on a respirator if anything of this nature was to happen. My mom, aunt and uncles has to tell the doctor last night to pull the plug on the respirator and let it be.

She's only on morphine and being giving oxygen. She will most likely pass soon, but it could take days before this happens. It depends on how long it takes for her body to give up. It is tearing my family apart. I feel so badly for my mom and the rest of the family. They are physically and mentally exhausted.

I am finally at peace with her going. My sister and I visited with my grandmother last night and said our goodbyes. I am happy because she had a wonderful life, loved her family and was an incredible grandmother. It's nice and peaceful to think of her with my grandfather again.

Although it's agonizing and exhausting, I am thankful for my family and friends.

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

No comments: